Notes


Matches 1 to 50 of 1,565

      1 2 3 4 5 ... 32» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
1
Daisy's mother was born in U.S.A. and her father in Wales. They owned a sheep property on Willochra Plains, then moved to Telowie when Daisy was 3. She was educated at Port Germein. The Harvey family moved to Adelaide and Daisy was courted by Correspondence and eventually Stan proposed by letter and was accepted. Stan went off to the war and returned in 1919.
Daisy had a very bright personality; she loved life and worked hard. She was an excellent tennis player, house-keeper and farmer's wife. She helped hand-milk 30 cows; during the depression she separated the milk and cream and made butter to sell to the East-West railways (one shilling per pound). She had 300 White Leghorn fowls and they produced about 10 dozen eggs per day; some were sold fresh (at about 4 pence a dozen), but Daisy pickled hundreds to be sold to bakeries in times of shortage (for about a shilling a dozen). She always had a wonderfully productive garden and was an excellent Cook.
In 1965 Daisy became very ill with insufficient blood to the brain through hardening of the arteries. She was ill for about 7 years, but for most of that time they lived in Port Lincoln. Lois Halls came to live with them to help care for Daisy. At the end of 1973 Stan admitted Daisy to Tumby Bay Hospital where she died six months later.
In 1966 Stan decided to sell the Port Germein Property and retire in Port Lincoln. Daisy was a wonderful wife, mother and grandmother. She died in 1974 after 54 years of marriage. 
Harvey, Daisy Pennia Sabina (I4813)
 
2
PATRICK PLAINS

The name Saint Patrick?s Plains was bestowed upon the area possibly by John Howe, the leader of the party which first reached it in 1819 and 1820. Howe?s first expedition crossed the mountains from Windsor and arrived at the river (he didn?t then know it was the Hunter) near the present-day Jerry?s Plains. The following year with a larger group, he used a modified and somewhat easier route, and on 15th March 1820 arrived at the river downstream at Whittingham, close to the present site of Singleton.
The original name was soon shortened to Patrick Plains. Initially this name covered a very large area ? from the foothills of the range between the Hawkesbury and Hunter Rivers to the south, Maitland (then called Wallis Plains) to the east down river, and spread out into unknown country to the north and west. Districts as far afield as Scone (Invermein) and Merriwa (Gummun Plains) were included.
Other names which were used in early settlement days were Wollombi Brook and Cockfighters Creek for the areas bordering this stream. Hunters River was the name for the area along the River, not only in the Patrick Plains area but for the whole length of the valley. And Goulburn River applied to the land along this tributary. By the early 1840 many settlements and villages had developed and were named, some officially and other informally. Names the early settlers had given to their grants were frequently adopted for a wider area.
The first town, designated Whittingham by the authorities, never developed. Settlers preferred Benjamin Singleton?s chosen site where he had built his inn beside the ford. This early village had the advantage of being a good resting place for travellers and horses or bullocks before tackling the river crossing to proceed up the valley. When the first post office was set up the name Darlington was allotted to the town, but this has only persisted in a small part of what developed into the town of Singleton. By 1836 Benjamin Singleton was offering housing allotments for sale.
In 1843 a district Council of Patrick Plains was set up, and this defined the districts as covering a more compact area than in the 1820s. It still began in the range between the Hawkesbury and Hunter Rivers in the south, and the range at the head of Fal Brook in the north; Black Creek (Branxton) to the east and Jerry?s Plains to the west. These boundaries remain. When, however, the Municipality of Singleton and the Shire of Patrick Plains amalgamated in 1975. The name Singleton was retained and Patrick Plains discarded. As time goes on less and less people remember the old name, so the Family History Society of Singleton Inc decided to keep the name alive, at least in a small way. Thus our journal became ?The Patrick Plains Gazette?. 
Thorley, James Samuel (I9539)
 
3
PATRICK PLAINS

The name Saint Patrick?s Plains was bestowed upon the area possibly by John Howe, the leader of the party which first reached it in 1819 and 1820. Howe?s first expedition crossed the mountains from Windsor and arrived at the river (he didn?t then know it was the Hunter) near the present-day Jerry?s Plains. The following year with a larger group, he used a modified and somewhat easier route, and on 15th March 1820 arrived at the river downstream at Whittingham, close to the present site of Singleton.
The original name was soon shortened to Patrick Plains. Initially this name covered a very large area ? from the foothills of the range between the Hawkesbury and Hunter Rivers to the south, Maitland (then called Wallis Plains) to the east down river, and spread out into unknown country to the north and west. Districts as far afield as Scone (Invermein) and Merriwa (Gummun Plains) were included.
Other names which were used in early settlement days were Wollombi Brook and Cockfighters Creek for the areas bordering this stream. Hunters River was the name for the area along the River, not only in the Patrick Plains area but for the whole length of the valley. And Goulburn River applied to the land along this tributary. By the early 1840 many settlements and villages had developed and were named, some officially and other informally. Names the early settlers had given to their grants were frequently adopted for a wider area.
The first town, designated Whittingham by the authorities, never developed. Settlers preferred Benjamin Singleton?s chosen site where he had built his inn beside the ford. This early village had the advantage of being a good resting place for travellers and horses or bullocks before tackling the river crossing to proceed up the valley. When the first post office was set up the name Darlington was allotted to the town, but this has only persisted in a small part of what developed into the town of Singleton. By 1836 Benjamin Singleton was offering housing allotments for sale.
In 1843 a district Council of Patrick Plains was set up, and this defined the districts as covering a more compact area than in the 1820s. It still began in the range between the Hawkesbury and Hunter Rivers in the south, and the range at the head of Fal Brook in the north; Black Creek (Branxton) to the east and Jerry?s Plains to the west. These boundaries remain. When, however, the Municipality of Singleton and the Shire of Patrick Plains amalgamated in 1975. The name Singleton was retained and Patrick Plains discarded. As time goes on less and less people remember the old name, so the Family History Society of Singleton Inc decided to keep the name alive, at least in a small way. Thus our journal became ?The Patrick Plains Gazette?. 
Thorley, William (I9594)
 
4
PATRICK PLAINS

The name Saint Patrick?s Plains was bestowed upon the area possibly by John Howe, the leader of the party which first reached it in 1819 and 1820. Howe?s first expedition crossed the mountains from Windsor and arrived at the river (he didn?t then know it was the Hunter) near the present-day Jerry?s Plains. The following year with a larger group, he used a modified and somewhat easier route, and on 15th March 1820 arrived at the river downstream at Whittingham, close to the present site of Singleton.
The original name was soon shortened to Patrick Plains. Initially this name covered a very large area ? from the foothills of the range between the Hawkesbury and Hunter Rivers to the south, Maitland (then called Wallis Plains) to the east down river, and spread out into unknown country to the north and west. Districts as far afield as Scone (Invermein) and Merriwa (Gummun Plains) were included.
Other names which were used in early settlement days were Wollombi Brook and Cockfighters Creek for the areas bordering this stream. Hunters River was the name for the area along the River, not only in the Patrick Plains area but for the whole length of the valley. And Goulburn River applied to the land along this tributary. By the early 1840 many settlements and villages had developed and were named, some officially and other informally. Names the early settlers had given to their grants were frequently adopted for a wider area.
The first town, designated Whittingham by the authorities, never developed. Settlers preferred Benjamin Singleton?s chosen site where he had built his inn beside the ford. This early village had the advantage of being a good resting place for travellers and horses or bullocks before tackling the river crossing to proceed up the valley. When the first post office was set up the name Darlington was allotted to the town, but this has only persisted in a small part of what developed into the town of Singleton. By 1836 Benjamin Singleton was offering housing allotments for sale.
In 1843 a district Council of Patrick Plains was set up, and this defined the districts as covering a more compact area than in the 1820s. It still began in the range between the Hawkesbury and Hunter Rivers in the south, and the range at the head of Fal Brook in the north; Black Creek (Branxton) to the east and Jerry?s Plains to the west. These boundaries remain. When, however, the Municipality of Singleton and the Shire of Patrick Plains amalgamated in 1975. The name Singleton was retained and Patrick Plains discarded. As time goes on less and less people remember the old name, so the Family History Society of Singleton Inc decided to keep the name alive, at least in a small way. Thus our journal became ?The Patrick Plains Gazette?. 
Thorley, Phillip (I6383)
 
5
Lt Col FW Bell VC; obituary
The Times Saturday 1st May 1954
"Lt Col Frederick William Bell, who won the Victoria Cross for conspicuous
gallantry at Brakpan in the South African War, died at Bristol on Wednesday
at the age of 79.
He won the decoration on May 16th, 1901, at Brakpan. He was retiring under
heavy fire after holding the right flank when he saw a colleague who was
dismounted. In spite of the intensity of fire he turned about, went to the man's
aid, and took him up behind him on his horse. The weight of the two men
proved too great for the animal, which fell with them. Bell thereupon insisted
that the man should mount the horse and make his escape. Bell remained
behind and covered his retirement until he was out of danger. Bell also saw
active service in Somaliland and later in the 1914-18 War.
He later served as a political officer in British Somaliland and as an
administrative officer in both Nigeria and Kenya Colony. He retired from the
colonial service in 1925 and at the time the circumstances surrounding his
retirement received a considerable amount of prominence. The late Lord
Delamere moved a resolution in the Administrative Assembly of Kenya
drawing the attention to "the reprimand and notice of termination of his
services, given by the Government to Lt Col FW Bell VC, a District
Commissioner, following his evidence before the Masai Inquiry Committee".
The Government contended that Bell's retirement had been previously
recommended on the ground that he had reached the age limit, and that it
was not connected with the evidence that he had given." 
Bell, Frederick William (I7966)
 
6
Methodist Church Exeter, South Australia, is now known as the Uniting Church Samaphore, South Australia. 
Family F0164
 
7 Birth - District: Portsmouth Vol:2b Page:453 Marriage - District: Portsmouth Vol:2b Page:1348 Death - District: Portsmouth Vol:20 Page:0606 1901 census: 72 Liverpool Rd, Portsmouth aged 3mths, with family and grandmother. Hopkins, Edward George B (I10407)
 
8 Birth record: Vol 2b, Page 877, Portsmouth Marriage record: Vol 2b, Page 1060, Portsmouth (to Haywood???) Death record: Reg District Portsmouth, Dis Code 497/1B, Reg No: B71A, Entry No: 142 Hopkins, James Null (I10408)
 
9 Birth record: Vol 5a Page 12 Highworth Wiltshire Marriage record: Vol 2b Page 1139 Portsea (1899) Death record: 1861 census: Wanborough, aged 4 with sister and grandparents (waite) 1871 census: Wanborough, aged 14 living with siblings and granparents (waite) 1881 census: "Minotaur" RN Vessel, Private RMLI, aged 24 1891 census: 1901 census: 42 Hawke St Portsea, aged 43 with wife and children (dropped William from his name goes by Joseph) Wait, William Joseph (I10402)
 
10 Birth record: Vol 6d, Page 696, Portsmouth Death record: Reg District Portsmouth, Dis Code 497/1A, Reg No A69A, Entry No 126 Hopkins, Thomas Charles (I10410)
 
11 A Memorial Service (no. 190075) was conducted for Alice at the Centennary Park Cremortorium on 08 November 1989. Alices ashes were laid to rest with her Husband at Grevillea Court Gardens SB 1 95. Small, Alice Grace (I3162)
 
12 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Vega, A. (I10416)
 
13 Doris Mary Campbell (n.Hill) born 29 November 1901 Lymington, Southhampton, England, Mother Annie Elizabeth Hill (n. Lilleyand,) father George Herbert Hill, Birth Reg. district Lymington county of Southhampton UK.

In 1959 Southhampton was official incorporated into Hampshire and Lymington became part of the county of Hampshire, England.  
Hill, Doris Mary (I2215)
 
14 In 1847, there were seven Wesleyan Churches in South Aus. and Mt. Barker was one of them.

When the mill was built, it was used as a place of worship and Sunday School was also held in it. Later, a slab church was built in Cameron Street, of red gum posts with an earthen floor and bags for windows. The first stone church, which is now the Lecture Hall was opened in 1851. The Rev. J. Hall preached morning and evening, the collection for the day amounting to 44-2-6 (a record even for today). The Rev. J. Dann, D.D., who was 21 years of age, walked from Adelaide to Mt. Barker to take charge of this church. The parsonage was built in 1857.

The present fine structure, the Dunn Memorial Church built in 1881, donated to the Mt. Barker Methodists by the late John Dunn, now stands alongside the old church.

In 1847, there were seven Wesleyan Churches in South Aus. and Mt. Barker was one of them.

When the mill was built, it was used as a place of worship and Sunday School was also held in it. Later, a slab church was built in Cameron Street, of red gum posts with an earthen floor and bags for windows. The first stone church, which is now the Lecture Hall was opened in 1851. The Rev. J. Hall preached morning and evening, the collection for the day amounting to 44-2-6 (a record even for today). The Rev. J. Dann, D.D., who was 21 years of age, walked from Adelaide to Mt. Barker to take charge of this church. The parsonage was built in 1857.

The present fine structure, the Dunn Memorial Church built in 1881, donated to the Mt. Barker Methodists by the late John Dunn, now stands alongside the old church.

The address of the Dunn Memorial Uniting Church is 13 Mann Street Mount Barker, South Australia. 
Family F0063
 
15 John Henry Parnell was born at Richmond 12/9/1839. John was Dux of "The King's School" in 1856 where he received the very first Broughton Prize (Co-incidentally donated by a Mr. Charles Kemp - brother-in-law).
John never married and is not the John Henry married to Sarah Ganderton of the Shoalhaven district of NSW.
He died after the wreck of the Maria. It was claimed he was one of the parties killed by the natives mentioned in the following accounts.

John Henry in his will dated the 21/5/1866 while living at Osterley, named his brother Charles and sister-in-law Sarah as executors. He included among other assets distributed, one hundred and fifty pound to be invested and the interest to be used to maintain the joint grave of his mother and father at Morpeth. He also left one thousand pound for the education of his niece Edith.


A fellow student from "The Kings School" named Haydon was also part of the crew of the ill-fated Maria.

News Report.

Maria wrecked-39 killed SATURDAY, 30 MARCH 1872 Reports from Queensland have confirmed 39 people from the New Guinea gold expedition were killed when their 156-ton brig Maria became wrecked on Bramble Reef, off Cardwell in Queensland. In a chilling account, the expedition's storekeeper, Mr. Goble, told of the disastrous voyage of murder and mayhem when the ship sprung a leak 270 miles from New Guinea and the captain turned the boat around to head for the nearest Queensland port. The course was altered and five days afterwards on the 26th of February at 2 o'clock in the morning, a cry of "breakers under the lee bow" startled us and the skipper (who would not turn out until thus aroused).
To our legs and the deck... Three quarters of an hour passed when she began to break up astern and the water rushed in. No steps were taken to secure life.

Rafts of a shaky description were constructed under the supervision of chief mate who was crazy with excitement. Not so the members who remained cool throughout. Mr. Goble continued, "I asked what (the captain) meant to do-if he would adopt proper measures to secure as much life as possible, and stick to the wreck". He replied "that he would stick to the last"... but I had not been engaged more than 30 minutes when I was informed that the captain had left the ship with six men, taking the only boat we possessed, saying that he was going to procure assistance... this boat would have held 25 men. The two remaining boats were then lowered, and I placed a small quantity of provisions with water in each; dropped them astern ready to use and mounted guard on the taffrail with a revolver in my pocket to prevent any similar mishap occurring. Many begged me to let them into the boats, but the majority of the men behaved nobly and there were individual instances of courage and magnanimity which I shall never forget. Mr. Goble said he then loaded as many as he could on the boats with the intention of staying on the wreck with the second mate, however a strong wind pushed one boat, with only two men on board, away from the sinking ship before it could be fully loaded. He got in the other boat and chased the smaller boat, caught it and helped the two men row back to the wreck.

As they approached it, the Maria sank. 'There was no outcry, only a slight wail from those who were suddenly submerged," reported Mr. Goble. The second mate clung to the top rigging and helped those in the water to the rigging. He refused to jump in Mr. Goble's boat and save himself although many pleaded with him to think of his wife and child, but he could not be induced to leave his post, but made the others go". When the boats were filled with remaining survivors both drifted to Hinchinbrook Island and as the weather was too dangerous to travel, stayed on the island and survived on periwinkles for seven days.

When the weather had improved, they rowed to Cardwell and safety. Mr. Goble organised a steamer to survey the wreck but found nothing from the cargo could be saved. Two crewmembers of the captain's boat arrived, injured, at Cardwell. They reported their companions had landed on Hinchinbrook Island near an Aboriginal camp they said although the natives seemed friendly, they were ambushed while walking and the captain and three other crewmembers were killed.

Another survivor story.

The wreck of the Maria or Adventures of the NG Prospecting Association. They boarded the Maria on 25th January 1872. First there was an objection by the Customs to clearing the ship on account of the number of passengers. This obstacle was overcome, by pointing out that there were only 75 of them plus 3 officers, a doctor, 4 sailors and the storeman. It was just as well they took the storeman, as he turned out better than all the officers put together. The next setback occurred when departure time came and the captain didn't show, but the adventure continued.

On 1st February and for the following three days they were in the vicinity of Solitary Island. Then the wind freshened from the South and it rained, "We experienced some little annoyances during the first part of the Southerly wind, as the weather was squally. With occasionally a good deal of rain; and our decks not being the tightest in the world, we found it sometimes a little moist below; but it was a consolation to us that we could get plenty of water without the trouble of going for it, as it was only necessary to spread a water proof coat on some berth and a few gallons could be obtained in a very short time". The expedition almost reached their objective but was driven back in a gale. With the extra strain various weaknesses became apparent. The tiller and rotted sails carried away, the equally rotten rigging was in considerable need of repair.

The Maria finally struck a reef. Forster boarded the larger raft and the smaller one carried Polin, O'malley, Hardy, Dalgleish, Hooker, Angel, Thomson, Heakman, Rowe, Parnell, Williams and Grant.

The rescue.
Captain Moresby RN. Quote: - "Reaching Cardwell on March 9 we learnt of a disastrous shipwreck. Seventy-five spirited, harebrained young men from Sydney had attempted a prospecting expedition to New Guinea. They clubbed together, bought a crazy old brig (Maria) of 167 tons, and the natural result followed. She was wrecked on the Bramble Reef, about thirty miles from Cardwell, and the master, whose incapacity had caused the disaster, deserted the vessel before daybreak, taking six men with him in the best boat. Two rafts were hurriedly constructed, and barely launched when the vessel slipped off the reef and sank in deep water. Thirteen men gained one raft, twelve the other. The remaining small boat, with four or five men, reached Cardwell two days later, and gave the intelligence. Of course, assistance was at once sent to the wreck but no traces of the rafts could be seen.

However, I still entertained a hope, and determined to search in the "HMS Basilish". Calculating the effects of the winds and prevailing currents, I concluded that the rafts, unless stopped by some obstruction, would strike the mainland sixty or seventy miles north of Cardwell, and therefore I proceeded to Cooper's Point, and sent our boats north and south to examine the Coast. Our kindly paymaster, O'Neill, was the possessor of an excellent spyglass, and as a matter of personal pride allowed nothing to escape his notice. He was standing on the bridge looking about, when suddenly he cried out: " I see white men on the beach! " and our glasses, eagerly levelled confirmed the intelligence. I hurried into a boat, and taking food and wine, pulled rapidly in. As we neared, it was alarming to notice that the men seemed to have disappeared, and, a number of blacks were standing in their place, and seeing this our men gave way with a will that sent the boat flying through the water. But just as we landed they rose into sight again: they had fallen on their knees behind a rock to give thanks to the Almighty for their deliverance. Eight emaciated, half-naked creatures met us, and clasping our hands, told us that they were the only survivors of the thirteen on the larger raft. , There was no need to dwell on their sufferings; their wasted, ulcerated bodies, and the feeble voices with which they tried to raise a cheer, told that we had only reached them just in time. The wine revived them, and they were finally able to crawl along with us to the native camp, insisting that I must see how the black men had done their poor best to aid them.

The tale of the rescued men was horrible. For four days they had drifted on the raft, without a particle of food or a drop of water beyond what the rain supplied. Two died raving mad, two were drowned, and the rest were almost lifeless, when their black friends found them. In the meantime our boats had discovered the remains of the smaller raft on the beach, not more than six miles from the larger, but separated from it by a good-sized navigable river, which had prevented (providentially, as it proved) any communication between the crews.
This fine stream we named Gladys River. Further search showed that the survivors of the smaller raft had walked south. Hoping to reach Cardwell, but meeting hostile natives (probably exasperated by ill treatment) were all murdered. The master's boat landed south of Cardwell and its crew met the same fate". 
Parnell, John Henry (I9339)
 
16 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Walker, V.J. (I5166)
 
17 "Elizabeth's" ships log for Nominal list of deaths aboard the "Elizabeth" states:
In The Hospital on Shore
Neale, Mary age 25 
Stewart, Mary (I8425)
 
18 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Tiller, L.E. (I1522)
 
19 12 October 1915 Allan's enlistment papers into the AIF show his postal address as Wilson Street "Highbury", Taringa, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. His next of kin is listed as Hilda Marion Manning (wife). Manning, Allan William (I7983)
 
20 1841 census: Mill Lane Highworth, aged 3 with parents and siblings (Waite) Waite, Joseph (I10309)
 
21 1871 Census has him living at 59 Bright St Oxford with his family of 5 children. Tucker, William (I0177)
 
22 1881 Census for England and Wales has him living with his mother and father at Wick Lane.
1901 Census for England and Wales has him living with his wife and child at 2 Stanmore ST Old Town Swindon.
1911 Census for England and Wales has him living with his wife and children at Tadpole Cottages, Blunsdon St Andrew, Swindon.
He was a Farmer 
Tucker, Edmund Thomas (I0148)
 
23 1881 Census of England and Wales has her and her sister Amelia living at 7 Buckingham Place, Clifton, Bristol, England Tucker, Anne M (I0179)
 
24 1881 Census of England and Wales shows she was living at 7 Buckingham Place, Clifton, Bristol with her sister Anne. Tucker, Amelia J (I10745)
 
25 1891 Census of England and Wales has her living at 9 St Lukes Rd, Bedminster, Bristol England with mother Maria and Brothers William and George.
1901 Census has her living at 7 Kensington Hill Brislington, Bristol, England.
1911 Census of England and Wales shows her living at Oxford House, Kensington Hill, Bristol, England. 
Family F0057
 
26 1901 Census of England and Wales shows him living at 37 Percy St Bristol. His occupation shows as a stoker stationary engine Tucker, Alfred (I10746)
 
27 1911 Census had him living at Moor Leaze Cottages, Liddington Wick, Swindon. 1901 Census had him living at 6 Woodbine Terrace, Chisledon, Swindon. With his family. 1891 Census had him living at 84 Coate cottages, Chisledon, Swindon. 1881 Census had him living at Wick Lane, Liddington, Swindon Tucker, William John (I0147)
 
28 1912 'The Adelaide Chronicle":
Marriage: The Blyth Lutheran Church was the scene of an interesting wedding on July 3, When Mr. Hurtle Tiller, second son of Mr. Wm. Tiller, "Werocata View", Balaklava, was married to Miss Meta Beckmann, "Avera" Blyth. The officiating minister was the Rev. C. Lee, of Balaklava (Methodist). The bride who was given away by her father, wore a pretty white Oriental satin frock with long train. The bodice was made with a crossover effect, and trimmed with embroidered chiffon, the yoke, collar and cuffs being composed of fine net. The skirt was made in the tunic style and trimmed with deep pearl fringe. She also wore the orthodox veil and wreath of orange blossom, and carried a lovely horseshoe. Her gift from the bridegroom was a ring. She was attended by two bridesmaids and a little page. Miss Hilda Beckmann, younger sister of bride, acted as first bridesmaid, and Miss Ada Tiller, sister of bridegroom, second. They were dressed in white china silk frocks, with crossover bodices, trimmed with silver tinsel net and bead embroidery and gold respectively. Both wore large black Tagel straw hats, trimmed with cord and feathers to match, and carried floral horseshoes. They were presented by the bridegroom with brooches. The flower girl, Miss Lily Tiller (sister of the bridegroom), looked a pretty little maid in palest pink Japanese silk, made in the Empire style and wearing a dainty pink silk straw bonnet. She carried a basket of pink roses and stocks. The bridegroom was attended by his brother (Mr Roy Tiller) as best man, and Mr Arthur Beckmann as groomsman. After the ceremony the guests adjourned to "Avera", the residence of the bride's parents, where a sumptuous breakfast was partaken of, the tables being effectively decorated with silver wattle and pink geraniums, the bridal table being carried out with white marguerites and fern. After the usual toasts had been honoured, the guests all joined in singing "They are jolly good fellows". A move was then made to the dining room, where the wedding gifts were on view, and were costly and varied in number. In the evening, dancing, games and musical items were indulged in. The music was supplied for the dancing by Mr. C. Milde, Messrs. Cavanagh and Farrow acted as M.C. The bride and bridegroom then left for their future home, "Fair View", Balaklava. The bride's going away dress was a navy coat and skirt, blue hat to match, trimmed cord and wings. Mrs Beckmann, bride's mother, was gowned in black silk trimmed with silk fringe and sequin embroidery. Miss Beckmann (sister of the bride) wore grey silk with braid and buttons, Mrs. Tiller (mother of bridegroom) had on black surah silk trimmed with silk insertion. Mr Cavanagh, navy coat and skirt. Miss Vera Tiller, pale blue striped voile; hat to match. Mrs. Beckmann (Arthurton) black silk and juet trimming. Mrs Mugge, black silk, Mrs J. Clarke, black silk, Mrs O Beckmann, black silk, Mrs H Matticke (Freeling), black silk, Mrs R.C. Tiller was in vieux rose, trimmed with black satin and fringe. Mrs Hawkins (Warnertown) black surah silk, Miss O. Veitch, black velvet coat and skirt, Miss Ivy Veitch wore prunell. The Misses Zweck (Gawler) had on dainty dresses of cream voile banded with whit satin, the Misses Zweck (Blyth) wore cream frocks trimmed cord. Mrs Redpath (Hoyleton), silver grey, Mrs. W. Longmire, grey trimmed braid and buttons. Mrs. W. Evans Looked well in black, The daughter (Miss Mary), blue, Mrs. Stan Tiller grey coat and skirt, Miss Mugge wore a heliotrope dress trimmed with silver sequins. Miss Ruby Mugge grey. Miss Daisy Clark, pale blue piped with white silk, Mrs. T. Roberts, grey dress. Miss Ellie Mattiske (Freeling), grey striped material. Miss Clark (Windsor), cream frock trimmed with silk braid and buttons, Miss Tucker (Balaklava) cream Sicilian. Amongst the gentlemen were Messrs, Mattiske (4), Mr. P. Beckmann, Messrs A and S Tiller, Longmire, E.C. Beckmann, P.O. Tiller, J.S. Cavanagh, Evans (2), F. Wiltshire, Pearce, and Zweck (3).

The following are some recollections of Hurtle as recorded by his daughter - in - law Meredith

When Hurtle left school at the age of 13 he was still so small that he could not lift a bag of wheat. Bag sewing was chore that had to be done, usually in excessive heat. They used a Rugby truck which had it own air-conditioning! There were no doors! His brother, Rex, was innovative: he bought a rubber-tyre International tractor for 600 pounds, the first in the district, and defied public opinion by working it over sand hills with ease, Now everyone owns one! It was originally assumed that there would be insufficient traction to grip and pull.

Rex converted a harvester, Model Big E which superceded a previous model Little E which had a 6 foot comb, Big E had a 9 foot comb. Rex altered it from a ground drive to a power take-off which had not been seen in the district before, maybe not anywhere. This served the purpose of also cleaning the grain, almost like the later Hannaford Grain System of cleaning which is now superceded by adding chemicals as the grain is sewn, instead of immediately after it has been reaped. Another previously used Method of cleaning the grain was by turning the hand winnover.

Hurtle and his brothers built three houses. They quarried the stone with pick and shovel and crowbar, and loaded it by hand on to a wagon, They carted it to the site of the house and unloaded it again by hand. The evidence of the quarrying is still visible. They all agreed not to build a fourth!

Hurtle and his family attended the Methodist Church at Woodlands. Hurtle remembers having to recite verses of the Bible at Sunday School. One favourite was a verse with two worked in it ("Jesus wept"), but this was removed as an option. Hurtle was not a sportsman: When he was young enough he didn't have the time; when he had the time, he was too old to play.

Two incidents involved lightening. The first was at the end of May, Hurtles team was struck in the paddock while seeding with with a team of horses, eleven abreast. The lightening killed the first horse, missed the second, killed the third and then the current came back onto the wet reigns throwing Hurtle off the back of the combine, leaving him unconscious. When he regained consciousness he found his way home still dazed, leaving his horses in the paddock. Two hours later he returned with his brothers to find the horses still standing motionless in the same spot. The next day he replaced the horses and continued working.

On the second Occasion he went to feed the horses during a thunderstorm, stopped to wash his hands at the outside wash basin and was struck by lightening while bending over the bowl washing the back of his neck. This left a severe scar, the result of the burn. Peter also had an encounter with lightening; his car was struck while he was returning home from a meeting in February. (information obtained from "The Tucker Family in Australia" 1992). 
Tiller, Hurtle Alfred (I0367)
 
29 21 january 1970 Died suddenly at her home at 10 King Street Gardiner, Victoria, Australia Amsden, Inez Edna Sadie Marguerite (I71)
 
30 2110 Private F.G. Banks enlisted in the A.I.F. 31/1/1915, one month before his eighteenth birthday. He said he was 18.5 as shown on the pay book. He embarked 21/9/1915 for Gallipolli and active service in Egypt and France. He was in the 27th Infantry Battalion. (The Tucker Family in Australia, 1992) Banks, Frederick George (I3746)
 
31 3rd Child of Samual Warburton Warburton, Elizabeth Alice (I10502)
 
32 60TH BIRTHDAY AT KYBUNGA

On Saturday evening Mrs. Penfold of Balaklava was tendered a 60th birthday party at the home of her brother Mr. Inman Tucker of Kybunga. Brothers and sisters, sons and daughters of the guest were present at a birthday tea which was held in Mrs. tucker's spacious dining room. After tea, community singing was enjoyed by old and young, being supplied by Miss Coulls of Adelaide. Later in the evening those wishing to dance went to the Tucker Barn, where dancing was enjoyed until supper time. A presentation was made to Mrs Penfold by Mr J.C. Tucker, brother of the guest and many other useful presents were also given to her. Mrs Penfold very ably and suitably responded. Supper was served and Mrs Penfold lit the 60 candles and cut the 2 tier cake made and decorated by Mrs Alf Clarke. All present sang 'For she's a jolly good fellow' thus bringing the happy evening to a close. Mr F.J. Clarke was MC. Among those present were Mrs Penfold, Messrs and Mesdames E. Cunningham and family, B. Duke (Blyth), I. Tucker, W.T. Clarke, E.I. Tucker, E. Arbon and J Mitchell, Mesdames Jenna (Sevenhills), Taylor and Coulls (Adelaide), M. Shrubsole, E. Clarke and A. Clarke, Misses M. Clarke, M. and G. Clarke, E.HJ. and I Arbon and J. Duke (Blyth), Coulls (Adelaide) and L. Tucker; Messrs R. Penfold, J.C. Tucker, F.J. Clarke, H. Duke and R. Arbon(Blyth) and Tucker. (The Tucker Family in Australia, 1992) 
Tucker, Sarah (I2465)
 
33 A charwoman, char or (ironically or in genteel phrasing) charlady is an English house cleaner. The term has the same roots as "chore woman", one hired to do odd chores around the house. A char or chare was a turn (of work) in the sixteenth century,[1] which gave rise to the word being used as a prefix to denote people working in domestic service. The usage of "charwoman" was common in the mid-19th century, often appearing as an occupation in the English census of 1841, but it fell out of common use in the later decades of the 20th century, often replaced by the term "daily (woman)". Unlike a maid or housekeeper, typically live-in positions, the charwoman usually worked for hourly wages, usually on a part-time basis, often having several different employers. Tucker, Ann (I269)
 
34 A Hospital was first opened at Latrobe in 1889 called the Devon Cottage Hospital. It was relocated to a larger site in 1903 and was renamed the Devon Public Hospital.
In 1961 the Mersey General hospital was opened at the current site and was later named the Mersey Community Hospital. 
Griffiths, Edwin John (I11437)
 
35 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Tiller, G.H. (I3161)
 
36 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Gibson, A.M. (I5727)
 
37 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Holman, A.L. (I4942)
 
38 About GRIFFITHS, John
John Griffiths often known as Captain John Griffiths learnt his ship building skills from his father and the skills of a seaman from his brother in-law George Plummer. He was also often referred to as "John Griffiths Speculator". While some of his brothers farmed the rural grants, John stayed close to the wharf, the shipyard, and the sea in the early and late part of his life. In his twenties he commanded small ships which scouted the seal-rich headlands of Bass Strait and Kangaroo Island and in his early thirties he waited in Launceston while employees of his like John Hart and William Dutton mined the same coast land and the same harbours for skins and oil and whalebone`. It was Hart (later a Premier of South Australia) and Dutton who were to give information to Henty and also to Colonel Light`s expedition to settle South Australia. Jonathan Griffiths (who had been through Bass Straight since 1817) and son John Griffiths would also have aided the new settlements. In the 1830`s that John status as a `Speculator` started and with his brother in-law George Plummer was apparently closely associated with Thomas Henty, John Fawkner`s and John Batman `known as the founder of Melbourne`. Thomas Henty was the pioneer of the sheep industry at Portland bay, his wool shed was claimed to be the first building erected in the state of Victoria, Thomas and his sons became well known to the Griffiths and owned several ships in conjunction with them. Griffiths/ Plummer had built the`Rebecca`. It was in this ship that John Batman sailed from Launceston to Port Phillip landing on the Twenty -sixth day ofMay 1835. John Pascoe Fawkner later charted the `Enterprise` andsettled in Port Phillip October 1835, It was from this beginning that Melbourne grew. One of John`s largest undertaking was a one third share in the Launceston Fishing Company, with separate running accounts for Port Fairy and Portland Bay (the other shares were held by James Henty and Michael Connolly). John`s impact on the new colony of Victoria can not be under estimated.Port Fairy (known as Belfast) was the 2nd larges shipping port for the colony until the late 1800's. John had used Port Fairy as fishing and sealing base for a number of years but on 10th May 1836 he sailed from Launceston with building materials.Within a fortnight of arrival at Port Fairy, a two-storied pre-fabricated weatherboard house was erected on Griffiths Island; it was long known as `Government House`. The existing boatsheds were repaired, new huts, a bake house and cooperage built. Soon after, Jonathan Griffiths erected the first substantial house (of four rooms) on the mainland, beside the Moyne River The township of Port Fairy itself had begun in a non-whaling sense. And further then 1837 Jonathan Griffiths supervised the growing potatoes .... and had raised a bumper crop which sold for Twenty Pounds a ton in Adelaide. Thenon-whaling crop raised by Jonathan Griffiths and his sons brought the first fruits of independent agriculture to Port Fairy. John Griffiths and his partners continuous pastoral and agricultural activity began on a substantial scale from Spring 1836 and by Autumn the following year, there were 1,500 sheep atthe Port Fairy establishment, months before the Henty`s pushed their flocks inland towards the Wannon and years before the general squatter advance into the Western District. Not all John`s ventures proved successful and in the depression of 1842, John was reputed to have lost Seventy Thousand Pound, 10,000 sheep , the whaling station and most of his ships at depression prices. He also lost six ships at see during the 1830`s He soon recovered, however , as the following April (1843) he was building the Steam Flour Mill at Belfast (Port Fairy) and lived in a cottage facing the Moyne River in Gipps Street (between Coxand Banks Streets). Thus John can be credit with growing the first crop (potatoes) and establishing the first flour mill in Victoria as well as being a major contributor to the newsheep/wool industry in Victoria. John moved his back to Tasmania and continued his shipping and farming interest there. Here opened his shipyard and 1850 the barque `Sydney Griffiths`,368 tons, came off the slips (reputedly) to carry the first cargo of wool direct from Port Fairy to London. In 1853 the `Sydney Griffiths` was later(1880`s) lost with all hands. Also in 1851 he built the Tamar brewery with his son-in-law John Scott, The beer they brewed sold as ` the King of Beers XXX`,son Thomas was the Managing Director for twenty-Four years of the thirty-two years he spent with the Company. Thomas was to die in April 1891 and the business continued to trade, under newmanagement, until after the First World War when it was taken over by Boag`s Brewery. In 1858 John returned to Port Fairy to aided in the erection of a Lighthouse on Griffiths Island. Sadly at the Tamar Regatta on March 8th. 1859 his sons John and Harry were drowned so in 1863 John moved from the Tamar to Port Sorell and opened a shipbuilding yard. Several vessels were built there including the `Bitter Beer` (in which John lost two sons) Later he established a shipyard at Formby (now called Devonport),opening on the Mersey River. He also built the first five shops in the main street of Devonport and the first wharf In all he would have built over 50 ships many in partnership with his brother in-law George Plummer and in later times his son Sydney who was to take over the management of Griffiths shipbuilding after John`s death in 1881. (Jonathan Griffiths Australian Heritage)
 
Griffiths, John (I6357)
 
39 About McROBERTS, James William
Christening Rec.: Ref Number: V1854937 58 Parish: Sydney, St James`, Independent (Congregational) NSW BDM Death rec. : 185605140 122/1856 [died Cumberland aged 20 months - parents unnamed] Australian Vital Records Index: MCROBERTS, James CD 606815 Death Age at Death: 20 Mont Death Place: Cumberland Index Year: 1856 Reg Year: 1856 Reg State: New South Wales Ref Number: 1 year and 8 months at time of death. Commemorated on same gravestone as brother Arthur Sydney McRoberts (d. 23/5/1860).

 
McRoberts, James William (I8491)
 
40 About McROBERTS, Robert
Took over the license of the Crown Inn from Thomas Johnson. Proprietor of the Crown Inn, 565 George Street, Sydney in 1861 and 1863 (Sands Sydney Commercial Directory, 1861 & Sands Sydney Alphabetical Directory, 1863]. Birth mentioned in IGI. Informant of death: James McRoberts (Brother) of Parramatta. Witnesses of burial: John Brooks and Robert Guy. Undertakers: C. Kinsela and Son. Originally interred in the Old Sydney Burial Ground which was demolished in 1901 to make way for Central Railway Station. Remains removed to Rookwood Cemetery, CE, Section 4, Nr. 4923-4. Exhumation Permited granted to daughter Mrs. S. L. Campbell, 58 Palace Street, Petersham [Sarah Louisa McRoberts]. ------------ NSW DEATH CERTIFICATE: Robert McROBERTS, Hotel Keeper, George Street, died 19 October 1866 at the age of 46 years. Cause of Death: Dropsy as certified by D.E. Lauder. Parents of Deceased: John McRoberts and Sarah MILLIGAN. Informant of Death: James McRoberts, brother, Parramatta. Buried in Sydney 21 October 1866. Witnesses to burial: John Brooks, Robert Guy. Robert McRoberts was born in Ireland and had been 25 years in the Colony of NSW. He married Sarah JOHNSTON (sic) in Sydney Abt 1847. There were 3 boys and 3 girls living at the time of death. [N.B. Johnston should be JOHNSON] ------------ Will no. 7006-1 (p)(Source Jennifer Leslie)

 
McRoberts, Robert (I7972)
 
41 Ada and Henry were married at the residence of Ada's Aunt, Mrs Sarah Hedditch, Beaconsfield, Tasmania, Australia by John S Greer, Minister of the Weslyan Methodist Church. Family F3746
 
42 Ada passed away on 6 October 1927 at the residence of her son-in-law (Mr Winslow C. Taylor), Perth West Australia. Plummer, Ada Theresa (I7819)
 
43 Ada Theresa Dutton is buried in the Church of England section of the Cornelian Bay Cemetery in Section VV Site Number 96. She was aged 65 at the time of her burial and her details are contained in Record No 1B23106, 1B26641. See attached details Plummer, Ada Theresa (I7819)
 
44 Ada was a young unmarried mother and apparently looked after her daughter for a while before giving her up for adoption. She nursed for a while but gave it up due to deafness. Ada never married and helped look after her parents. She apparently followed details of her daughter throughout her life and died 3 1/2 years after Effie. Tiller, Ada Emily (I0368)
 
45 Ada was cremated at the Rookwood Crematorium on Wednesday 29 June 1966. Kerr, Ada Mary (I11080)
 
46 Adam Veitch is buried with his wife Jessie and daughter Kathleen. Their grave is located at the Magill Cemetery, Magill, South Australia in Plot number 323.  Veitch, Adam (I1189)
 
47 Adelaide Mary Foran, known as Ida, was born 9th of November 1873, the second of two daughters of Philip Foran (a farmer in Bathurst) and Adelaide Ann Australia Shore-Vickery. Her older sister, Ellen Frances was born in 1872. Adelaide had several step siblings, one of them is her half sister Josephine Vickery who was born in 1879 in Bathurst.
Adelaide's father, Phillip and Cornelius(the father of Frederick Burcher's wife Ellen),were brothers, the two youngest of five children of Patrick Foran and Ellen Grady.
Patrick Foran's Granddaughters, Adelaide Mary married Wilhelm Bottcher in 1909 and Ellen married Wilhelm's son Frederick Bottcher in 1912.
Adelaide and her sister Ellen were raised by the Foran family from the early years of their lives.
Adelaide spent some years in a boarding school and was well educated. She came to Sydney, looking for work, where she was introduced to Wilhelm Bottcher who was looking for someone to look after the children while he was working.
Wilhelm and Adelaide married at Waterloo New South Wales in 1909, the second marriage for both.
According to the Electoral roll, they lived at 58 Union St Erskinville from 1908 to 1914. They then moved to 169 Smithfield Rd Smithfield New South Wales sometime before 1915 and had a son, Adelbert in 1916. Adelbert was affectionately known as Bertie by the family.
Adelaide suffered congestive Cardiac Failure (heart attack) in February 1958 and was taken to Wynleigh Private Hospital at Strathfield where she died of Coronary Occlusion on 23rd April 1958, aged 84. Her funeral was held at Rookwood Crematorium, Church of England Section and her ashes were scattered in the rose garden.


 
Foran, Adelaide Mary (I6293)
 
48 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Botcher, A.A. (I6294)
 
49 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Plummer, A.C. (I7733)
 
50 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Terrace, A.N. (I3918)
 

      1 2 3 4 5 ... 32» Next»

Home Page |  What's New |  Most Wanted |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates |  Reports |  Sources