Blackboy Hill Western Australia, Australia



 


Notes: During the troop build up for the First World War, the site was a military training camp used to house large numbers of Australian Imperial Force (AIF) troops before they left for the various battlefront locations in Europe and the Middle East. Facilities were moved from other parts of the metropolitan area to improve facilities which were quite basic.[2]

Troops were transported to the adjacent Helena Vale Railway station and marched across to the camp, so as to not interfere with the working of the Eastern Railway.[3]

Blackboy Hill Post Office opened on 29 August 1914 and closed on 30 November 1918, defining the period of occupation of the site.[4] An office of the same name was opened from 1929 until 1932, when it was renamed Greenmount Hill.

Around April 1919, following the end of hostilities, the Imperial forces camp was turned over to the Health department to act as a fever hospital, treating Spanish Flu.

In the 1930s unemployed relief workers utilised the camp area.[5]

During the Second World War, the site was also used extensively by the 2nd AIF and other Australian military forces.

Blackboy Hill Commemorative Site
Memorial and flagpole aligned to setting sun on Anzac Day

The commemorative site is a small 0.5 hectare site on the southern edge of the former camp site, adjacent to Innamincka Road, Greenmount Hill. It is bounded by a 1.5 hectare public park to separated it from the adjacent schools and residential area.

OpenStreetMap

Latitude: -31.896349, Longitude: 116.0448983


War Service

Matches 1 to 1 of 1

   Last Name, Given Name(s)    War Service    Person ID 
1 Maxwell, William  14 Sep 1914Blackboy Hill Western Australia, Australia I12022
Home Page |  What's New |  Most Wanted |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates |  Reports |  Sources