Congregational Cemetery/Don Cemetery, Devonport, Tasmania, Australia


Latitude: -41.18443, Longitude: 146.32041600000002
Congregational Cemetery/Don Cemetery

Notes:
Historic and heritage value
-
Congregational Cemetery /
Don Cemetery

Devonport
The Congregational Cemetery is a small burial ground, with the older headstones dating from the late nineteenth and early twentieth century‟s.
The
Cemetery is one of the oldest in the State of Tasmania.
((Jeffrey), 2000).
At rest in this historical patch of ground are many of the Don Pioneers, many of these men and women were the original pioneers of the City of Devonport and its surrounding district. The Cemetery occupies one acre of land,
granted by James Fenton in 1864 and contains many headstones and graves of local significance, for example
members of the Henry family, including John Henry CMG, member of Parliament, member of the Australian Federal Convention which framed the Australian Constitution.
Henry Carter, a prominent Devonport pioneer and landowner; Senator Alexander Lillico; Stephen Priest, a prolific builder, in Devonport‟s early history are also buried at
the site.


Home Page |  What's New |  Most Wanted |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates |  Reports |  Sources